We at Better Fundraising have noticed a lot of “fundraising silver linings” in the past few weeks.
So with absolutely all due respect to the loss of life, the people sacrificing on the front lines, and the ways we’ve all be harmed by the current situation… there are plenty of silver linings for donors, Fundraisers and fundraising.
- Donor generosity is amazing.
- Donor retention is going to be up this year, based on what we’re seeing.
- Most of our clients had a great March. For many of them, it was their best month ever.
- More nonprofits are practicing fundraising essentialism: doing the things that drive results and nothing more. Put another way, they’re abandoning the activities they’ve always done “because they were supposed to” and are doing the things that drive measurable results.
- Organizations that had systematic approaches to major donor fundraising knew exactly who to call. And those donors came through.
- Nonprofits that have put in the work before all this – communicating enough, making sure donors know that their gifts make a real difference – are seeing incredible giving.
- Even nonprofits that haven’t put in the work are seeing the incredible giving. I repeat: donor generosity is amazing.
- Nonprofits using data to know whether they are still in the Bump or have moved into the Slump, and modifying their messaging accordingly.
- Nonprofits seeing incredible response to their emails continuing to send those emails until results start to drop.
- Nonprofits sending direct mail because they know that their emails don’t penetrate the older portion of their file.
- More and more older donors getting comfortable giving online.
Huge thanks to all the Fundraisers out there making all this possible. You’re giving donors chances to support the causes, beneficiaries and organizations they care about. And you’re raising money for causes that matter.